• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Closed] Travelling through the Dark

The Oracle

Subject of Alexandria
Gold Crowns
§¤10
Solar
¤0
Bronze Pieces
0₱
Character Race
Common Human
You taught me the courage of stars before you left.
How light carries on endlessly, even after death.
With shortness of breath, you explained the infinite.
How rare and beautiful it is to even exist.

I couldn’t help but ask
For you to say it all again.
I tried to write it down
But I could never find a pen.
I’d give anything to hear
You say it one more time,
That the universe was made
Just to be seen by my eyes.

I couldn’t help but ask
For you to say it all again.
I tried to write it down
But I could never find a pen.
I’d give anything to hear
You say it one more time,
That the universe was made
Just to be seen by my eyes.

With shortness of breath, I’ll explain the infinite
How rare and beautiful it truly is that we exist.

The lights within her chambers flickered as she read over the book in her lap. The light of the candle casting shadows across the room. How fitting it was that she saw death and darkness just as the candle cast light and shadow across her rooms and the poem that she had written 216 years ago. Nothing was guaranteed in this life and nothing was promised except for the release into death. Often she had wondered at her own passing, but the cruelty of her patron was she could not see her own future. She could never see if she was to be happy, to have a family, to see her own passing. She could just experience the future of others and help guide them along the path set for them.

She had been alive for an untold number of years, she had even lost count. She remembered her old home, as she often did following certain readings. Her father and brothers pitching the tent that her entire family slept under even though she preferred to watch the stars sparkle in the sky. She missed the breeze slipping through the long grass as a young girl would run her hands through it. The smell of the ocean coming in from the east. She missed the celebrations of life, and the celebrations of death of those of her tribe. She missed the simplicity of their lives. Gathering food, weaving clothes, traveling the lands, worshiping their patron god, honoring the ancestors, respecting the land and animals that gave them life. There just was a simplicity to it that she was not able to find again.

Taking a glass of wine she walked to the patio outside of her rooms and sat there and listened. She listened to the stillness of the night. Slowly, one by one the crickets began to sing their song. Not to be outdone, the frog added in their deep voices to the chirps. In the distance the owl and the fox joined in as their hunt began. There she sat and listened. Listened to the sounds of Gaia as they sang their songs of life. In that moment it took her back to her last memory of her tribe. The same song was playing that night. The Song of Nature was mixed in with the Songs of Celebration as the tribe celebrated her coming of age. She was now a woman. Her father had just announced she was to marry Colin Hansson, the son of the chief. She was so delighted at the prospect. She would be the mother of chiefs and warriors. That night she danced, she truly and blissfully danced to the beat of the Songs, she danced with her friends, her sisters, and she danced with Colin. That was they all danced till the Raiders rode into the tribes camp. They rode in on massive horse and trampled all members of the tribe. They struck down old and young. They did so without mercy, without emotion, without a care in the world other than to kill. The men of the tribe tried to make a stand but many were to intoxicated from the alcohol that had been passed around all night. They were nothing more than game for the Raiders. She watched as Colin fought against a massive raider. She fell to her knees in tears as she watch the raider slash across his throat and his head fell to the ground shortly followed by his body. She wept when her father was speared through the heart. She let the darkness collapse in on her as her mother and sisters and brothers were slaughtered all around her.

In the darkenss of her mind, she felt nothing. 'Death must be this, so beautiful. To lie in the soft embrace of Gaia, with the green grasses waving all around and above, and to simply listen to the silence. Not to have to worry about yesterday, and no tomorrow. To forget time, to forgive life, and to simply be at peace.'
'Peace is something I'm afraid you will not find yet my child. For you are not done on Gaia and I have need of you.' she remembered a voice ringing out and a light engulfing her and the only other thing she could remember was who spoke to her. Elentári. Her tribes patron. How fitting. The goddess meant to protect them was going to prolong her torment...