1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[The Industrious City of Seagarde] Revisiting Old Crossroads

Discussion in 'The Northern Reaches' started by Duane Odinsson, Feb 13, 2018 at 4:00 AM.

1. Duane Odinsson

Duane Odinsson QUACK QUACK Landgrave Air Marshal of the AFAS The Raven's Glaive [FFXIV] AlexandriaCraft Minecrafter

Gold Crowns:
    §¤475
    Solar:
    ¤775
    Bronze Pieces:
    138₱
    He swirled the Frostwood Fire in his hand, memorized by the red sloshing liquid. It was quite unlike him to drink without a jovial reason, although the incident that unraveled within the past months was motivation enough.

Duane drummed his fingers on the dark mahogany counter, feeling a sense of familiarity with the old establishment. The former trio would make this one of their more commonly visited places, using it as a refuge and sanctuary from whatever the evil of the week was. The thought brought back several merry memories from a seemingly carefree past life.

I’m not nearly old enough to have these sentimental memories, he thought to himself as he scrutinized his own reflection appearing in the liquid.

It seemed the roof of the whole world had suddenly collapsed within the past few months. Although he knew it was an internal lie meant to placate himself. There had always been several signs of changing tides, becoming ever more pervasive as time went on. He had simply chosen to blissfully ignore them.

2. Kuling Oðinsson

Kuling Oðinsson King of Cloadan Privy Councillor Prime-Palatine Site Supporter Palatine-Elector

Gold Crowns:
    §¤620
    Solar:
    ¤0
    Bronze Pieces:
    0₱
    Kuling, however, pushed open the door, tired from the long day, hoping to be able to sit back and soak in the discussion of the town at the pub. The door creaked open and a few strange faces turned to look at him before they went back to their drinks. The room, which normally had an earthy vibe to it seemed particularly reeking of the scent of alcohol this time. It was one of the skunkier smelling alcohols, the ones that were cheap and tasted like death, and he could tell right away that someone must have spilled their drink on the floor not that long before him stepping in.
    He hung up his coat and began walking farther in looking for a table to sit at, because he was looking for a meal to go with his drink; his day had gone reasonably well, the only thing being that he woke up very early and didn’t get to sit down that much earlier in the day.
    Kuling didn’t pay much attention to the people around him when he sank down into one of the hard wooden chairs, and lazily cast his gaze over to the people playing music over in the corner. Playing it terribly.

One of the barmaids headed over to him, smelling of drinks and carrying the gait of swollen feet.

“Anything sir?”
    “Just some rice wine to go with a meat pie.”
    “You want something in particular?”
    “Um...you got duck?”
    “We got caribou and mutton”
    “Caribou it is.”

The barmaid waddled back over into the kitchen to place the order and Kuling lay his head down on the wooden table, resting on his forearms, listening to the fiddler abuse her instrument until the bow string snapped as it screeched across the instrument.

3. Duane Odinsson

Duane Odinsson QUACK QUACK Landgrave Air Marshal of the AFAS The Raven's Glaive [FFXIV] AlexandriaCraft Minecrafter

Gold Crowns:
    §¤475
    Solar:
    ¤775
    Bronze Pieces:
    138₱
    While lost in mild contemplation, Duane’s ears picked up the sound of a familiar voice. He knew who it was exactly, and turned to face his brother. He called out with a slight hint of sarcasm, “ah, Kuling. Absolutely wonderful to see you here. Why don’t you join me over here?”

“Hm?” Kuling replied, “Yes, of course.” He situated himself across from Duane, slightly puzzled to find his brother here. After all, Duane was hard to find in one place for more than a few weeks at best.

Duane felt somewhat uneasy facing his brother in this environment. He had meant to send a letter before his arrival, although it had slipped his mind. He took a brief pause before muttering out, “so, uh.. How are you faring..?”

“I’m actually doing well, thanks. You?”

“I could complain about the lack of grilled shrimp, but otherwise, fine.”

“You come here often?” Kuling said jokingly.

“No, it’s been a while since I was last able to destroy your laboratory. I figured for insurance money and old times sake I would stop by,” he retorted.

“Oh, of course. Old time’s sake, eh? That reminds me of something about Ragnar. You should come back to the Keep so I can show you something. I just got back from Frostwood Manor for a vacation.

Duane took a glance at his barely touched shot glass. “Yeah.. just let me finish this in preparation for destruction.” He drowns the shot as he rises from his seat, and places the glass along with a number of coins on the counter. “Come on,” he says, motioning towards the door with his head.

4. Kuling Oðinsson

Kuling Oðinsson King of Cloadan Privy Councillor Prime-Palatine Site Supporter Palatine-Elector

Gold Crowns:
    §¤620
    Solar:
    ¤0
    Bronze Pieces:
    0₱
    “Yeah, you can sit on the couch over there if you want, get comfy,” Kuling noted, before sitting down in his leather executive chair and turning around to face Duane. Courteously raising his arms, he said, “And this is the office.”

“Reminds me of the storage closet back in Alexandria Castle.” Duane mutters. “Oh, what’s this?” Duane asks, inspecting a small knick knack on Kuling’s desk.

“So, time for what I brought you for. See, I was being a bit...ugh...you know how it is. Either way, I was back in Halvergate for the wee—” The sound of porcelain hitting the wooden floor ringed across the room.

Duane stood up straight, and nudged the broken pieces of porcelain under Kuling’s desk using his foot. He darted his gaze across the room a number of times, whistling slightly. “Oh my dear Flemingovia! How did such a thing happen?”

“Hm.”

Duane continued, unfazed by Kuling’s unconvinced look, “you know Kuling, you should really clean up this office before someone gets hurt on all of these small pieces on the floor. It’s a death hazard!” He brushed off his collar slightly with a smirk tugging on his lips. He bowed courteously, “as you were explaining before dear brother?”

Kuling sighed. “Okay, anyway.” He went into the cabinet and retrieved a polished bronze sword and laid it in Duane’s palms. He then stood back and watched Duane’s reaction.

Duane ran his thumb over blade, feeling the smooth bronze seemingly glide beneath his tips. He rotated the sword, visually inspecting the expert craftsmanship of the sword. His eyes lit up when he glanced over an inscription on the base of the pommel, reading Duane Odinsson.

Kuling smiled wryly. “Well...just...just trying to make things right.” Kuling looked at the floor, glum.

Duane looked quizzically towards Kuling, “making up for what?”

Duane Odinsson likes this.