1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[County Arborsden] An Exercise in Academia

Discussion in 'The Southern Reaches' started by MacSalterson, Jul 31, 2017.

1. MacSalterson

MacSalterson Illusionist and Trickster Landgrave

Gold Crowns:
    §¤240
    Solar:
    ¤52
    Bronze Pieces:
    0₱
    Saïd's head jerked up. He had nodded off at his desk, already piled high with books on various subjects, sheaves of paper, and scholarly instruments of various configurations. He glanced down at his two letters, addressed to two of his most immediate superiors in the hierarchy of Alexandria, the Prince Palatine of the South, @George Cromartie and the Sovereign herself, @Queen Hyacinth Moltera. He finished his signature on the topmost one, glanced over them both quickly, and sent for them to be mailed to their respective recipients.

ArbordsenArmorial.png
    Landgraviate of Arbordsen
    To be Delivered to the Sovereign of Alexandria, Queen Hyacinth Moltera

Łaṇirúwos, T'a[1] Sovereign Moltera

I write to you today to make a request for the funding of a certain academical venture I have been planning since the inauguration of myself as Landgrave of this County Arbordsen. I have also written T'æl[1] Prince Palatine of the Southern Reaches George Cromartie, as I feel it is both prudent and necessary to gain the blessings of my superiors to begin my project. I will detail this project in its simplest entirety below for your perusal and pertinent suggestions.

I have, in my time since arriving in Alexandria, noted a dearth in higher academic institutions to hone the minds of this land's inhabitants. It is my proposed idea to construct an academic institution devoted to the higher knowledge and research into the natural sciences and their related magical philosophies. It would require extensive funding to be detailed further below, provided by primarily the governments of Alexandria and the Southern Reaches, and would be consist of a campus constructed in the County Arbordsen and the related professorial personnel, equipment, and books and manuscripts for the perusal and support of students. This venture, I feel, would pull talented individuals into Arbordsen to further spread throughout the South and assist in its long-needed recovery from its political and social instabilities.

Subjects to be addressed at this school would include the mundane natural sciences of botany, medicine, biology of marine and terrestrial variants, philosophy, astronomy, geology, and anthropology, to be taught alongside related schools of magical philosophy such as the practice of healing magic, alchemy, herbology, rune magic, and others as necessary to accommodate any potential students' desires. These courses and fields of study would be overseen by appropriately experienced scholars, philosophers, naturalists, professors, and arcane magisters and would educate enrolled students in these fields of study. These would be housed in appropriate research facilities, lecture halls, and similar areas of discourse and overseen by administrative personnel appointed from the Southern Reaches and the Kingdom as a whole, as seen fit.

The current plan for the aforementioned campus would consist of a number of facilities grouped rather closely together to facilitate travel between them as necessary by the professorial and student bodies. The central and largest building would consist a library containing texts, both imported and domestic, pertinent to the myriad of studies provided at the institution where students may research in the own time, find texts necessary to the course work and research given to them by their professor in a certain field, and administrative documents regarding the running of the university, registries of the student and professorial bodies, and courses sorted annually (this section would by necessity be empty at first due to a lack of previous student bodies to fill it). A number of other buildings would be constructed, foremost after the library a complex of lecture and discourse halls to provide a structured environment for the professors to educate their classes in. These halls would consist of a central pit from which the professor shall lecture, and a semicircle of seating for the student body so that they may listen to the professor and take notes during his or her lectures.

Other notable structures would include research facilities for tactile sciences such as biology, botany, and anthropology such that students may investigate and practice their trades in a controlled environment to be overseen by the professor of the necessary field. Appropriate equipment and material supplies would need to be acquired to allow students full access to their research. Laboratories, green houses, archives for artifacts and fossilized, preserved, or otherwise inanimate specimens would fall under this category.

A final building or set of buildings I feel must not be forgotten is a set of boarding houses to provide shelter and on-campus residence to students who's home is otherwise too distant to access in a practical manner, as well as a method of feeding said students over the course of their study as they may not have the means nor money to do so via inns or eateries in nearby towns and cities or under their own cooking power. To achieve sustainability, I would recommend a fee of enrollment and residence if necessary to attend this academy, typically of an affordable amount paid per annum to the school by the student.​

I have included a list of areas that the total budget is required to go into, for your perusal and calculation of suggested prices, as I will calculate my own.
    Library:
    -Associated Texts:
    Lecture Halls:
    Research Facilities:
    -Associated Accessories:
    Residency and Boarding:

Tuition per Student:
    Residency per Student:
    Salary per Professor:

May this letter find you in good health,
    Landgrave Saïd Najdi of Arbordsen
    NajdiSignature.png

ArbordsenArmorial.png
    To be Delivered to the Prince Palatine of the Southern Reaches

Łaṇirúwos, T'æl[2] Prince Palatine Cromartie

I write to you today to make a request for the funding of a certain academical venture I have been planning since the inauguration of myself as Landgrave of this County Arbordsen. I have also written T'a[1] Sovereign of Alexandria Hyacinth Moltera, as I feel it is both prudent and necessary to gain the blessings of my superiors to begin my project. I will detail this project in its simplest entirety below for your perusal and pertinent suggestions.

I have, in my time since arriving in Alexandria, noted a dearth in higher academic institutions to hone the minds of this land's inhabitants. It is my proposed idea to construct an academic institution devoted to the higher knowledge and research into the natural sciences and their related magical philosophies. It would require extensive funding to be detailed further below, provided by primarily the governments of Alexandria and the Southern Reaches, and would be consist of a campus constructed in the County Arbordsen and the related professorial personnel, equipment, and books and manuscripts for the perusal and support of students. This venture, I feel, would pull talented individuals into Arbordsen to further spread throughout the South and assist in its long-needed recovery from its political and social instabilities.

Subjects to be addressed at this school would include the mundane natural sciences of botany, medicine, biology of marine and terrestrial variants, philosophy, astronomy, geology, and anthropology, to be taught alongside related schools of magical philosophy such as the practice of healing magic, alchemy, herbology, rune magic, and others as necessary to accommodate any potential students' desires. These courses and fields of study would be overseen by appropriately experienced scholars, philosophers, naturalists, professors, and arcane magisters and would educate enrolled students in these fields of study. These would be housed in appropriate research facilities, lecture halls, and similar areas of discourse and overseen by administrative personnel appointed from the Southern Reaches and the Kingdom as a whole, as seen fit.

The current plan for the aforementioned campus would consist of a number of facilities grouped rather closely together to facilitate travel between them as necessary by the professorial and student bodies. The central and largest building would consist a library containing texts, both imported and domestic, pertinent to the myriad of studies provided at the institution where students may research in the own time, find texts necessary to the course work and research given to them by their professor in a certain field, and administrative documents regarding the running of the university, registries of the student and professorial bodies, and courses sorted annually (this section would by necessity be empty at first due to a lack of previous student bodies to fill it). A number of other buildings would be constructed, foremost after the library a complex of lecture and discourse halls to provide a structured environment for the professors to educate their classes in. These halls would consist of a central pit from which the professor shall lecture, and a semicircle of seating for the student body so that they may listen to the professor and take notes during his or her lectures.

Other notable structures would include research facilities for tactile sciences such as biology, botany, and anthropology such that students may investigate and practice their trades in a controlled environment to be overseen by the professor of the necessary field. Appropriate equipment and material supplies would need to be acquired to allow students full access to their research. Laboratories, green houses, archives for artifacts and fossilized, preserved, or otherwise inanimate specimens would fall under this category.

A final building or set of buildings I feel must not be forgotten is a set of boarding houses to provide shelter and on-campus residence to students who's home is otherwise too distant to access in a practical manner, as well as a method of feeding said students over the course of their study as they may not have the means nor money to do so via inns or eateries in nearby towns and cities or under their own cooking power. To achieve sustainability, I would recommend a fee of enrollment and residence if necessary to attend this academy, typically of an affordable amount paid per annum to the school by the student.

I have included a list of areas that the total budget is required to go into, for your perusal and calculation of suggested prices, as I will calculate my own.
    Library:
    -Associated Texts:
    Lecture Halls:
    Research Facilities:
    -Associated Accessories:
    Residency and Boarding:

Tuition per Student:
    Residency per Student:
    Salary per Professor:

May this letter find you in good health,
    Landgrave Saïd Najdi of Arbordsen
    NajdiSignature.png

[1]Łaṇirúwo, T'a is the traditional greeting to a high ranking female of Saïd's native language Łamatṡyo, translating roughly to "A greeting, respected one [who is a woman]"
    [2]Łaṇirúwo, T'æl is the traditional greeting to a high ranking male of Saïd's native language Łamatṡyo, translating roughly to "A greeting, respected one [who is a man]"

2. George Cromartie

George Cromartie Forum Administrator Privy Councillor Prime-Palatine Roleplay Moderator Site Supporter AlexandriaCraft Minecrafter Palatine-Elector

Gold Crowns:
    §¤871
    Solar:
    ¤148
    Bronze Pieces:
    0₱
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

To the Landgrave of Arborsden

Greetings, Honoured Vassal,

I was most interested to hear of your proposal and following discussions with my own staff I can inform you that the government of the Southern Reaches will be able to at the very least partially fund the initial setup and upkeep of your academy. The education of all Southrons is of great importance to myself and as Prime-Palatine I am looking forwards to how this helps your county and the whole province move on from the strife of the Insurgency, which was felt in all the counties of the Southern Reaches.

I can divert building materials and supplies from Dardania towards Arborsden to help with the construction that will need to go on. I will dispatch one of my aides in order to ensure these and other resources granted by the Southern Realms are used efficiently and as they should be. The coffers of the South are not endless, and I am sure you will appreciate the need to ensure good value on our investments. I am gladdened to see your suggestions for sustainability and a list of estimates and suggestions will proceed this message.

On the subject of resources in the educational sense, the Libraries of Abydos and Florin contain many texts that I was having copied in order to maintain and spread the knowledge within them. I can at your request have these copies made available to the Academy as and when needed, as well as instructors from the Enchanters Guild of Abydos and other institutions across the Southern Reaches and beyond. I have reached out to some of my contacts to enquire as to any foreign educators who may be interested in also teaching at the academy.

On a final note, I would like to enroll my children, Ceara and Colm Cromartie as some of the first students of this school. They are already adequate in most of the subjects you have listed but require a more challenging and intensive education than can be currently provided in Dardania. I trust this will be acceptable to you, and I will happily pay the tuition for them. For their part, they have asked that I also start a scholarship fund, to pay for the tuition of one boy and one girl each year. I accepted their request and thus should be billed for this also when the recipients are selected.
    Library: 200 Gold Crowns
    -Associated Texts: 22 Gold Crowns
    Lecture Halls: 150 Gold Crowns
    Research Facilities: 50 Gold Crowns
    -Associated Accessories: 8 Gold Crowns
    Residency and Boarding: 60 Gold Crowns

Tuition per Student: 50 Silver Soler
    Residency per Student: 50 Silver Soler
    Salary per Professor: 3 Gold Crowns

In Good Health, Long Life and Prosperity,
    George Cromartie
    Prime-Palatine of the Southern Reaches​
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  3. Queen Hyacinth Ravenclaw

Queen Hyacinth Ravenclaw Forum Administrator Sovereign of Alexandria Prime-Palatine Roleplay Moderator Site Supporter Queen of Alexandria Palatine-Elector

Gold Crowns:
    §¤7,895
    Solar:
    ¤0
    Bronze Pieces:
    0₱

[​IMG]

To the Landgrave of Arborsden,

I was very pleased to read your letter outlining your proposal to develop a new centre of academic in the Southern Reaches. The South has suffered tremendous difficulties in recent years. Infrastructure, education and community development are key priorities of my reign as Sovereign for the entire realm. Southerners in particular are in need of greater employment opportunities that will allow them to better provide for their families, and to serve the communities to which they all belong. Warfare and civil strife has taken a great toll upon my Southern subjects, and above the basic needs of humanity for food, water, and shelter, my subjects are eager to work for opportunities they had once believed were beyond their reach.

Education reduces poverty by improving economic growth and increasing individual and collective income. While the Kingdom has broadly made great progress in this area, in many parts of the Kingdom, including the South, thousands of men and women remain illiterate, greatly depriving them of opportunities for more satisfactory and profitable employment. Thousands of children are also denied access to education due in part to a lack of adequate institutions, and in part to financial constraints imposed upon them through no fault of their own.

In order to ensure that the benefits of education are fully maximised in the Arborsden and that this extends to students travelling from far and wide, we must ensure that only the finest quality of academic programs are taught, with the highest standards of academic integrity imposed on all who wish to study or teach. A poor education will have no positive impact on the community it claims to serve and will only deplete the treasury. Teachers and Academics that are highly trained and skilled researchers must be hired to ensure the success of this new institution, and to guarantee that the benefits of a positive education are carried forward for generations to come.

The Crown will provide substantial support to the establishment of this institution provided that only the highest standards of academic rigour and integrity are maintained within the institution. The institution must also advise all students on civics and ethical responsibilities to their community. The Crown is prepared to cover the costs of the most academically gifted student from a lower socio-economic background from each of our provinces and one from the Crownlands for the duration of their studies at this institution.

In terms of an initial budget the Crown is prepared to offer the following:
    Library: 500 Gold Crowns
    -Associated Texts: 100 Gold Crowns
    Lecture Halls: 300 Gold Crowns
    Research Facilities: 100 Gold Crowns
    -Associated Accessories: 20 Gold Crowns
    Residency and Boarding: 200 Gold Crowns

In terms of the costs per student, and the salary per professor we believe the following should be adequate:
    Tuition per Student: 40 Silver Soler
    Residency per Student: 60 Silver Soler
    Salary per Professor: 8 Gold Crowns

The Crown looks forward to seeing the institution developed over the coming year, and to witnessing the great benefits of education throughout the Kingdom.

Si Deus nobiscum quis contra nos
    [​IMG]
    Hyacinth
    Queen and Sovereign of the Kingdom of Alexandria

4. MacSalterson

MacSalterson Illusionist and Trickster Landgrave

Gold Crowns:
    §¤240
    Solar:
    ¤52
    Bronze Pieces:
    0₱
    [​IMG]
    To be Delivered to the Sovereign of Alexandria, Queen Hyacinth Moltera

Łaṇirúwos, T'a[1] Sovereign Moltera

I have gladly received your letter in response to my request for funds towards constructing an institution for the natural and arcane sciences in the county of Arbordsen and believe it prudent to address a number of details before further planning and construction can take place.

I am operating under the assumption that the funds pledged will be initial costs, and are not reflective of the final cost to construct the entirety of the campus. My estimates have since been finished, and total out to an average of thirty eight soler and fifty bronze per square meter across the campus, with some variance based on construction materials and the nature of the building.

The matter of tomes, scrolls, and other manuscripts is a different matter for a number of reasons. It is apparent to most people with a passing interest in scholarly pursuits that certain tomes necessary for subjects, especially in the natural and arcane sciences, can become prohibitively expensive. I have a small supply of manuscripts available from my homeland, but these are neither sufficient in quantity or feasible for most students of Alexandria to read. If it is possible, I would perhaps suggest constructing a rotating inventory of material to be circulated into the academy from various libraries and archives around Alexandria, as well as bringing in a smaller private supply from a number of merchants capable of procuring requested books. I am not personally aware of any merchant capable, but I am sure your connections reach further than mine.

Lastly, I am requesting a joint audience with yourself, the Sovereign of Alexandria, and my immediate superior, Prime-Palatine George Cromartie, preferably either at the capital of either the Southern Reaches or Alexandria itself, or at a site which is ideal for constructing the academy. It would be more efficient to discuss more detailed matters regarding the academy in person rather than through letters.

Faithfully,
    Saïd Najdi, Landgrave of Arbordsen
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    To be Delivered to the Prince Palatine of the Southern Reaches

Łaṇirúwos, T'æl[2] Prince Palatine Cromartie

To be delivered to the Prime-Palatine of the Southern Reaches

I have gladly received your letter in response to my request for funds towards constructing an institution for the natural and arcane sciences in the county of Arbordsen and believe it prudent to address a number of details before further planning and construction can take place.

I am operating under the assumption that the funds pledged will be initial costs, and are not reflective of the final cost to construct the entirety of the campus. My estimates have since been finished, and total out to an average of thirty eight soler and fifty bronze per square meter across the campus, with some variance based on construction materials and the nature of the building.

The matter of tomes, scrolls, and other manuscripts is a different matter for a number of reasons. It is apparent to most people with a passing interest in scholarly pursuits that certain tomes necessary for subjects, especially in the natural and arcane sciences, can become prohibitively expensive. I have a small supply of manuscripts available from my homeland, but these are neither sufficient in quantity or feasible for most students of Alexandria to read. If it is possible, I would perhaps suggest constructing a rotating inventory of material to be circulated into the academy from various libraries and archives around Alexandria, as well as bringing in a smaller private supply from a number of merchants capable of procuring requested books. I am not personally aware of any merchant capable, but I am sure your connections reach further than mine.

Lastly, I am requesting a joint audience with yourself, the Prime-Palatine of the Southern Reaches, as well as the Sovereign of Alexandria Queen Hyacinth Moltera, preferably either at the capital of either the Southern Reaches or Alexandria itself, or at a site which is ideal for constructing the academy. It would be more efficient to discuss more detailed matters regarding the academy in person rather than through letters.

Faithfully,
    Saïd Najdi, Landgrave of Arbordsen
    [​IMG]

Attached Files: